Friday 27 December 2013

Adult annoyances: Pens, part 1

Businesses and institutions like banks, government offices and the like will tie down their pens to prevent them from being stolen.  I don't object to that, it's as much a waste of time for them to replace the pens as it is the cost of replacing them.

What I don't like is the assumption that everyone is right handed.  Have you ever seen a pen on a cord that was tied on the left side of a counter?


More than a few times, I've had this or similar conversations:

Clerk: Please fill out this form.
Me: I need a pen, please. (My left hand is extended.)
Clerk: There's one there. (Pointing to the pen.)
Me: I need a pen.  (Insistence in my voice.)
Clerk: Use that one! (With insistent voice.)
(I proceed to more or remove the pen, by breaking or removing the cord.)
Clerk: HEY! HEY! Stop that!
Me: I need a pen.

It's only then that they clue into the fact that the pen is on the wrong side and hand one to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, challenges and questions are welcome. Only a coward doesn't allow people to disagree with him.

Spam of any sort will be removed. That includes "cut and paste" crap, unacceptable links, or anything unrelated to the topic at hand.