Monday 18 November 2013

"Go bags" are a good idea

I like to have a "go bag" ready at all times.   Yes, it's mainly in case of an emergency, but it's nice not having to pack if a friend says, "Hey, let's go to __________ tomorrow!"  I can grab and go at a moment's notice.
(Take note: Being prepared and being a "prepper" are not the same thing.  The former hopes a disaster will end.  The latter hopes it never does.)

If you live somewhere that a disaster could happen (i.e. you live on the Earth), it's a good idea to be prepared, even if it's just the basics.  I don't want six months of food and water in my apartment, but I do have six days' worth at all times.



I live in Taiwan which is a country prone to major earthquakes and typhoons.  On top of that, its energy is provided by nuclear reactors, so a tsunami and/or Fukushima-type disaster is possible.  Or worst of all, the murderous mainland Chinese dictatorship decides to invade.

My "go bag" is a backpack.  I keep it in a cabinet near my front door, closed and ready at all times.  It contains the most important things I need (in order of importance) if I have to bug out immediately:

  1. passport and birth certificate (plus photocopies), flash device with personal data 
  2. traveller's cheques and cash
  3. notepad, pen and phrasebook (word book, and a point-to picture book)
  4. pair of tailored shorts, long sleeved pullover shirt, plastic raincoat
  5. a cap, three pairs each of socks and underwear
  6. basic first aid kit
  7. a pair of glasses in a small case
  8. water purification tablets and screw-top metal bottle
  9. Victorinox knife ("Pioneer Range, Alox, Farmer")
  10. fire starter 
  11. a few ziploc bags (for food, garbage, laundry, etc.)
  12. two energy bars
  13. MP3 player and a puzzle book for entertainment
It's not the be-all-and-end-all list, but it's a start if you want an idea of what to pack.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, challenges and questions are welcome. Only a coward doesn't allow people to disagree with him.

Spam of any sort will be removed. That includes "cut and paste" crap, unacceptable links, or anything unrelated to the topic at hand.